Electricity from soil? Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » Do you think this idea will work? » Electricity from soil? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Electricearth (Electricearth)
Username: Electricearth

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I had this idea to get electricity from soil. Turns out there is some sort of electricity in there, when I insert a Zinc screw and a copper screw into moist soil, I get about .60-1 volts of power, next to no amperage though.

I was thinking I could possibly increase this voltage by making series and parallel formations of screws, problem is that since it is not seperate soil it is actually shorting out the ciruit and only giving me the voltage that I would have gotten from one pair of screws, instead of the 20 that I put in the soil linking them together in a series formation(I stuck the screws in a plastic mesh, so if I wanted to I could put soil over it to hide the zinc and copper screws.

One other theory that I had was that the Zinc was somehow reacting with the carbon in the soil, and maybe even the trace of acid in it.

I want to be able to get enough electricity from the soil to charge a pair of rechargable AA batteries. Anyone have any ideas to possibly get that amount of electricity?

Electricearth (Electricearth)
Username: Electricearth

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the double post, I didn't know the first one went through.

Joshua Martin (Mr_)
Username: Mr_

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, April 4, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You just made a battery,congrats :-)
It is not free energey but it is neat though.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Wednesday, April 4, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The energy is coming from the chemical reaction between the zinc and the
electrolyte. When the zinc is used up, you need to recover it from the
soil by adding energy (such as using a battery to electroplate it back
onto the screw.

The energy came from the initial refining of the zinc from the zinc ore.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration