Homemade fly zapper Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » Do you think this idea will work? » Homemade fly zapper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert k (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.217.86.235
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think it would be possible to create a home made fly zapper out of say a 6 volt battery and a large capacator?

scifeli (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.6.164.180
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well you’d need high voltage and a capacitor. There are several ways to do this, you could have a wire mesh connected to a capacitor charged via a high voltage transformer and a diode to rectify the output. To get the high voltage you could just continually short the transformer with a switch or use an oscillator. To attract the bugs you’d need a light source. If you are targeting mosquitoes a carbon dioxide emitter.

Nobody
Username: Jared

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is resin? Does it dry clear? I need info.

jar4 (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.237.154.33
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is resin? Does it dry clear? I need info.

Zach Gerner (Zach_gern_curds)
Username: Zach_gern_curds

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does resin have to do with fly zappers?

Marcus Shaw (Schorhr)
Username: Schorhr

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only few bugs get zapped:
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/6-14-1996/bugzapper.html ;-)
Dangerous to play with such a circuit, high voltage can be dangerous not only to bugs.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are using the wrong bait.

Try carbon dioxide instead of light.

A box of baking soda on a heater should do it. A bit of nichrome wire
should suffice to heat the bicarbonate so that it releases carbon dioxide.

scott (Ichyc)
Username: Ichyc

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey speaking of nichrome wire, is it reusable like can you use it several times or dose it just burn out after the first use?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If they burned out after the first use, toasters would have to be
really cheap...

The glowing wires in the toaster are made of nickel-chromium alloy,
called nichrome for short.

scott (Ichyc)
Username: Ichyc

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

O I didn't know that toasters used nichrome for a heating element cool I thought that the wire would burn out after one use cause I plan to use them for rocket igniters.
If it wasn't reusable I was going to just use regular igniters but now I can save a lot of money thanks I should have Benn using nichrome wire all of the time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration