Help with AM Transmitter Project Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Help with AM Transmitter Project « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Lazear (Mlazear)
Username: Mlazear

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simon,

I recently purchased the AM transmitter kit, and then got another one on my own after the first one did not work. I built the second one, to no avail, and I have followed all of your directions word for word - with the exception of adding on an antenna (I am using both a walkman and the 'quick and simple' radio to receive a signal from my iPod). I have checked the solder points and the orientation of the transformer. When I connect the battery into the transmitter, it jams the 1,000 kHz range on both receivers. Could you tell me what is wrong? I have soldered the transformer correctly, omitting the middle prong (As shown in the directions), and I have concluded that either the transformer or the audio-in jack you included are not compatible with the iPod. I can't think of any other mono-out device I have. Is there any other way to test this without a morse-code like signal? Also, if I connect a stereo-in jack to the transformer, will it work? Thanks,

Michael L
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

I. Dimov (Overrider)
Username: Overrider

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure it's the fact that the iPod has a 32 output impedance, if I am not mistaken. Also I don't think there would be a problem pluging the mono jack in stereo output, it will just all come out in one channel. I made my transmitter using a stereo-in jack, because I couldn't find a mono oneq I just wired it in such a way, it functioned like a mono jack. I might post pictures if I can manage to dig it out. In my expirience the antenna greatly improves the signal.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration