Blast! My film can cannon doesn't wor... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Blast! My film can cannon doesn't work!!!!!!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My film can cannon doesn't work and I have tried everything!!!The igniter works when I put it back in th lighter but not when I hook it up to the spark gap wires!!!I really thought I could make this!!!does any body have any suggestions for this clueless 10 year old???If you do Please post it up here or e-mail me at sberlette@cox.net

-Nick a-k-a Vanilla Gorilla

Ryan Somebody
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You haven't soldered the wires correctly, OR you are completing the circuit yourself. Do you feel a little zap when you press the igniter? Just wear rubber gloves for a quick fix. You may have the spark gap wires too far apart.

Nick
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a new igniter that is the same kind as in the catalog and the spark will jump to my finger if its close enough.Ill try your suggestions though.Thanks!!!

-Nick a-k-a Vanilla Gorilla

dafdaf
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are the contacts on the piezo do you just push the button

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some piezo things dont really have contacts they r sort of built in.

Josh (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.235.129.42
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine has a spark and does not work at all any fuel list ?
Thanks

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your problem is most likely the fuel-to-air mixture.
Using Binaca as fuel, you must hold the spray about 2 inches
away from the can to get the right mixture.

Another problem this time of year in the northern hemisphere
is the temperature. Use the cannon indoors, or warm the can
well with your hands.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in Hawaii and sorry I can not find Binaca fuel anywhere and the shipping would be very high.Are there any other fuel sugestions

josh (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does it have to be aerolsol ? (Sorry about Spelling)

Post Number: 822
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you install the Google Toolbar on your computer, it will
check your spelling for you. It is very good at it. Bad spelling
makes it difficult for people to search the message board, so please
take the trouble to improve your literacy.

If you read the page where we introduce the Film Can Cannon, you
will see that the first fuel I tried was perfume from an atomizer.

Liquid fuel will not explode. Only the vapors will, if properly
mixed with oxygen.

josh (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there an aerosol that uses a flamable propellant for easy lighting any recommendations?
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need a very fine ?

Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mist Forgot it sorry

Scott (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 130.94.161.213
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a pre-built film can cannon for Christmas, but I can't get it to work. The igniter generates a spark, so that's not the problem, and it came with Binaca, so the fuel isn't the problem, either. The most likely problem is incorrect air/fuel mixture, but I've tried to follow the instructions that came with it as well as the advice in this forum, but nothing happens. I've tried it both outdoors and indoors. Is there some way to figure out if it's too much Binaca or too little? I never use more than one squirt.

Post Number: 918
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to hold the Binaca 2 inches from the opening of the can.
You can experiment with different distances to get different fuel to air ratios.
Make sure the can is at least room temperature.

Scott (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 130.94.161.213
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've tried that. Nothing. I've tried distances from about 2-4 inches, often waiting overnight between trials to make sure the old binaca is gone from the canister before adding more. But nothing happens when I press the igniter.

It's hard to figure out if I'm giving it too much or too little binaca when nothing happens at all. Is is supposed to be this finicky?

Post Number: 923
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can try warming the can (rub it in your hands or against
your pants). But usually there is not much trouble. You can
also try opening the spark gap to make a hotter, longer spark.
Don't open it so far that you get no spark, but as far as you
can while still getting a reliable spark.

Also, make sure the can is seated well, to make a good seal,
and don't wait too long after spraying before putting the can
back on the cannon.

Jason (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 63.201.34.196
Posted on Sunday, February 5, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I just built my film cannon and it didn't work with binaca. I had success with hairspray though. A quick squirt and I got a nice satisfying pop and the canister went about 10 feet. I've been having another problem:

The film lid will deform (I think it's partially melting) after two or three tries. I originally had attached the film lid to the wood base with screws. It would go about two to four times but then it'd start to just blow out along the sides of the lid and I'd have to replace the lid.

I've found it lasts a little longer if I leave the lid loose on the base and not attached but it still deforms after a few tries.

I have also given the canister time to cool between fires just in case it was from a build up of heat.

Please any suggestions are helpful.

Thank you,

Jason

Ardsley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.144.65.186
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHat is the best way to attch the film canister lid to the piece of wood? Some type of glue?

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, there isn't a glue strong enough.
Use a screw like we did in the instructions.

mnado (Mnado)
Username: Mnado

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used rubbing alchohol, pouring 5 drops of alchohol
will do the job, just give it a good shake its easy.

I havn't tried propane so far, you don't want
to try this at all.

You can also try using the whole head of the
barbeque lighter in the cannister cover, ignite
it by using the flame from the lighter.

Filling the can with the gas coming out of the
lighter will refill it quicker.

James Lee (Necrofear)
Intermediate Member
Username: Necrofear

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mnado will you tell me how to make it work???

James Lee (Necrofear)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wait nm... i got it

James Lee (Necrofear)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry i got it

seanfahey@mms-jem.com (Creebril)
Username: Creebril

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have purchased the ignitors from the catalog but there is only one lead out. Do I solder another wire to the bottom metal part and send that up to create the arc or do I just split the one wire. The book adequately explains the igniter from a lighter but not the one you get from your catalog.

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The instructions that come with the cannon kit are here:
"http://scitoys.com/new_0.html"

Follow the links at the bottom to get to this page:
"http://scitoys.com/new_1.html"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration