Laser communicator receiver Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Laser communicator receiver « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made the laser communicator by following instructions on the web.

Since I don't have an amplifier, I got rid of the earphone jack at the end
of the receiver and I connected two leads to an earphone jack that is attached to an earphone, hoping I can hear music through the earphone.
(So I have an earphone with its jack connected to two leads: one coming out from the photoresistor and the other one from the negative side of AA battery)

The way I tried to see if this works was:
Radio --> transformer --> earphone jack(with earphone)
Of course there were batteries too.

It worked perfectly. I could hear music.

after this I put the laser and the photoresistor in between

Radio --> transformer --> laser --------------> photoresistor --> earphone jack(with earphone)

but all I could hear was sparks. . not a significant musics.
One thing is that I put a 100 ohm resistor to prevent the laser from degenerating; this makes the laser point somewhat dim, , but still visible
up to 2 meters.

I am not sure if the photoresistor has a problem. . or the laser(I tried 2 differnet kinds)

Should I buy an amplifier to hear the sound?
Can't sound come right into my earphone through the laser and photoresistor?

If there's any other way to hear the music without an amplifier
Could you please tell me how?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Marvic Catania
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to whom may concern,

I dont know how to help you in your problem, but i am interested in the same matter of experiment, i am a student doing a dimploma in electronics an i would like to know anything related to laser comunication, if possible any schematics or designs would be of great help. if i succed in my intent i would shurly give you my support. contact me on triac18@hotmail.com

thanks for your help.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A silicon solar cell and a piezoelectric earphone are all you
need for the receiver. If you are using a cadmium sulfide
photoresistor you will need a battery in series with the cell
and the earphone.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration