Gauss Gun Question Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Gauss Gun Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Qwyjibo85
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read the project outline for the Gauss gun, and am just wondering what has been achieved by others in terms of velocity. I was wondering if this idea could be used for a projectile motion project, in which targets would need to be hit consitently up to 8 feet away. More the question, if this would be able to shoot the steel marble at an angle to the ground, and land somewhat near the 8 foot mark with accuracy down to a half square foot. I have been using magnets which are not bought from this site, but were found just lying around, and have had little success. Although there seems to be somewhat increased speed it is not a considerable increase. I understand that using stronger magnets will have a great effect on the results, but I was wondering how much of a difference will be seen. Thanks.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found some magnets and ballbearings at home last night (after reading this site yesterday) and made a very crude Gauss Rifle by taping the magnets to the floor. The bits I used were from Http://www.geomags.com/construction_sets/index.cfm

I just taped the plastic magnet holders to the floor with no ruler. The velocities were increased a fair bit. I will be taking some rulers home from work tonight to make a better one :)

My velocities will be quite restricted I think as the magnets are held together with a plastic bar. This plastic will have absorbed a lot of the energy, but the velocity was still increased all the same.

Think I will be buying som emagnets from here soon :) I am SURE that it will make a big difference.

T...

knunn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2005 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I creaded a small gauss rifle out of 3 rare earth magnets and a few ball bearings. I taped the magnets to a table with a thin slit.

once i got the distances between the magnes right i was able to accelerate to atleast 10 times the speed of the first ball

Also i have heard from a friend that he made a rifle with 60 magnets and was able to punch holes through window glass.

Tinkerer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.127.189.54
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought 10 magnets from this site and am going to use a yard stick. I'll post my results once I've tried it a few times.

James Lee (Necrofear)
Username: Necrofear

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tinkerer you want to buy the balls here they work much better than regualr steel balls you buy at stores( trust me i have done this)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration