Problem with Laser Pointer Audio Tran... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Problem with Laser Pointer Audio Transmitter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tdkyo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, thank you for sharing so much simple easy to follow fun science tutorials online. It amazes me how you can easily one can build a am radio transmitter to a more complex magnetic linear accelerator.

I am currently working on the laser audio transmitter. The first day I bought the supplies from radio shack, the transmitter worked flawlessly! It continued to work for two consequtive days for a total of five trials. I cliped on the solar cell (yes, but it still worked!) to the audio jack, and the speaker that was hooked up to the audio jack played!

Then suddenly, the third day was the plague. The audio transmitter did not work. I made sure I wired everything correctly and rechecked all the parts to make sure that none of them was broken. (at my best of my ability though) This is what I found so far.
The solar pannel is less sensitive to the laser beam. The laser from the pointer seems to be dimmed when hooked to the system. When I connect it normally to the appropriate batteries, it works fine. Whenever I touch the solar pannel, radio station waves is picked up. I tried amplyfying the sound at the speaker end at the best of my ability, but it yielded no significant music. Also, I do not hear the "spark" any more when the laser touches the solar pannel.
So, I went back to radio shack and bought some photoresister and setup the same configuration that was stated in your guide. (adding the battery to the speaker end.) Well, no dice!
When I connect the cd player and the speaker using the audio jacks and the allegator clips with the transformer in the middle, the sound plays just fine. (Meaning the transformer nor the other materials are not damaged) It is unlikely that the solar pannel or the photoresister has any damage that might yield a damage. The laser pointer works fine when hooked to the correct batteries, but not when hooked to the system.

I read all the previous posts, and I am still stumped. Can you give me a tip on what part is causing the problem? Remember, the first two days worked perfectly! It was since yesterday that it stoped working!

Thank you for your time!

tdkyo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it everyone! I connected the solar pannel weirdly and that caused the problem.

I am using Radioshack's Silicon Solar Cell 276-124 and used this instruction: http://support.radioshack.com/support_supplies/doc17/17162.htm

tdkyo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, if you are planning to tape the wires to your solar cell, make sure that the connection is good. If not, you will get radio waves and no response to the laser.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration