Trouble with the steamboat Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Trouble with the steamboat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Raymond Liu
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday, I made the "world's siplist steamboat with my dad. Today we tested it out, and it speeded around my bath tub like a car. But the second time we tried it, it didn't work and the pipe got so hot that black smoke came out. There was still water in the tube, but the water would not boil. We waited over ten minutes! Please help. Also, I used a one quarter inch soft copper tube because my dad said he didn't have any and he didn't want to buy any.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably just have a bubble of air in the tube.
This is easy to fix, just refill the tube with fresh water.
Water normally has air dissolved in it, and that air comes out
of solution when the water is heated. This air is usually
able to get out as the water pulses, but sometimes it collects
at the top of the tube and interferes with the pulsing action.

Raymond Liu
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But I did! My dad and I refilled it about 3 times and it still doesn't work. Are you supposed to put the candle so the flame is in the center of the copper tube or are you supposed to put in directly on the tube? My dad doesn't like the black smoke that is coming out and that might be the problem. I have one more question. How does the cool happy drinking bird in your catolog work? Thanks!

Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bird is described here.

Since you had the boat working once, I suspect the flame has changed position,
and is no longer generating enough heat.

Place the candle so that the flame does not quite touch the copper tubing,
but is directly under it. This should also reduce the soot production.

dDS
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That project is jsut hard in general i need all the guidlines in easier form it is impossible and you should get copper tubing in your cattalog b/c i can't find any

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't have any copper tubing, it is no wonder you are
finding the project difficult.

The project is simple enough to have been in a cub scout
manual back when I was a kid. So take heart -- once you
find a hardware store and get the copper tubing, it will
be a piece of cake.

A quick Google search for copper tubing will show you many
hardware and plumbing stores that carry it, such as this one,
or this one.

jason rucks
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an idea about a cloud forming machine. it uses the vacuum pump described eleswhere orn your site, 3 or 4 drops of alcohol, and a seethrough can.#1 put the alcohal in the can.#2 hook the pump to the can. then seal every thing. finnaly, put vacuum on the can, and a small cloud should form.

i have NOT tried this, but i saw it on a old tv show called mr.wizard.

fan of this site
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

candles are not the ultimate heat source for steamboats insteag take a jar lid that is all metal [no plastic ] put enough water to cover the bottom of the lid then take some alluminum foil and set it on top o the jar lid now make a slight depression in the foil now bend the exess aroud the lid prime your boat and put it in the water now fuel your new burner by soakin asnall rag in 99% rubbing alcohol put da rag in te depression in the burner put this in your boat where you used ta put da candle now light da rag n watch it go

greg koz (Greg1118)
Intermediate Member
Username: Greg1118

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice spelling

Alex Roberts (Whoo_mythbusters)
Username: Whoo_mythbusters

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want me to, I can go threw all of your posts, and pick out all of your spelling and grammar mistakes, but that is not the point of this site.

I'm sure that SOME of these people know how to spell and punctuate correctly, but they are just are to lazy and choose not to. i.e."Nice spelling" should have a period at the end. ;-)

Come on guys, spelling mistakes happen, that's why people have created programs such as the Google toolbar with spell checker. Even so, some things slip by, but then at the same time, like the person above, some people just don't care how they appear. This argument has been fought many times on this site, but you learn to get used to it.

After having said that, I am positive that someone will correct something in this post, but its OK things happen.

greg koz (Greg1118)
Intermediate Member
Username: Greg1118

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The period is implied, or it's the same color as th backround ;-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration