Ion Motor: Need more Power? Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Ion Motor: Need more Power? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

VrmlBasic
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read your (well written) article on how to construct an Ion motor utilizing either a VDG or a TV-Foil capacitor, and decided to go with the former option (VDG), as I wanted to experiment with a continuously operating motor. However, bad weather has kept me from acquiring the parts to build the VDG, and so I decided to try an ion motor with my Tesla coil. However, I'd heard that some things just won't work with the AC output of my coil, so I found a motor which was designed to work on a tesla coil. (http://www.electronixandmore.com/project/5.html)

The problem is that my motor won't even spin, sparks are just emitted from both ends of the wire, with one end emitting a visibly larger spark than the other (?). Do I need more power for this to work, or am I doing something worng?

While we're close to the subject, will your motor work from the output of an AC Tesla Coil, or will I have to wait and construct a Van de Graaf?

Thanks for your Help,
--K. Lang (VrmlBasic)

vrmlbasic@yahoo.com

Post Scriptum: The Tesla coil that I am using is (allegedly) 50kV.
(http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=7325)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration