Having trouble making Laser Communicator Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Having trouble making Laser Communicator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

anton kohlbacher (Brokensalami)
Username: Brokensalami

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2010 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, great site.
I have bought the parts from this site to make the project (laser communicator ofc), except the earplug.
I have also cut off a mp3plug from a pair of broken earphones and decided to not use the one you got with.
In that way the cables where allready connectedto the plug, I hope this is no trouble.
Anyhow I have built the transmitter according to instructions and connected it to some old mp3-sized radio. The laser lights up when I push down the button, but the light doesn't vary. I also tried reversing so the 1000ohm side of the transformer was connected to the sound source - I also tried connecting my mobilephone.

As for the reciever I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do, since I don't have the earplug, and can't order the mini-amp from Radioshack ( I live in Sweden ).
So I bought an audiocable looking like this ( http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/notebook/photo/cable_audio_pc.jpg ).
And cut off the black plug and connected wires from it on the back and on the metalline on the front of the solarcell.
The red and white plug I connected to a left and right phono input on an old amplifier we have in our livingroom, which is connected to 2 large speakers.
The amplifier isn't broken.

What am I doing wrong?

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2010 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please need help :-(

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2010 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would an amplifier like the guitars use work for this?
http://www.traderscity.com/board/userpix8/2189-tube-guitar-amplifier-home-studio-1.jpg

Patrick (Firewire)
Username: Firewire

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I know small devices like that doesn't output much signal that the transformer could pick up. Try connecting the output of your music source, before connecting it to your laser. Also, make sure that your large speakers can be driven by what amplifier you are using, as the site specifically uses 8-ohm speakers.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration