Laser transmitter doesn't modulate? Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Laser transmitter doesn't modulate? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim (Generacy)
Username: Generacy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see the laser flickering in time to the music. I've quadruple checked my wiring. When I touch a powered speaker contact to each of the 8 ohm leads on the transformer, I hear music. When I touch a powered speaker contact to each of the outside 1000 ohm leads on the transformer, I hear music. When I touch a powered speaker contact to the banana clips connected to the laser, I hear music. So I know the signal is getting to the laser. I tried shining a light on the solar panel, and I see the voltage increase. But when I turn the laser on (push the button), I don't see any light modulation. When my speaker contact is touching the 1000 ohm transformer leads, or the laser contacts, the music goes away when I turn on the laser, but returns when I turn off the laser. So something about turning the laser on is sinking the modulation?

And also, so powered computer speakers turned up full blast won't be able to amplify the solar signal enough?

Please help! I need this by Friday!

Tim (Generacy)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The audio source I'm using is the computer hooked up to the headphones jack. Thanks in advance for helping me!

Tim (Generacy)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also did the receiver test and it does make a noise when I put it up to my CRT monitor. So it must be the laser!

Tim (Generacy)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried switching the sides on the transformer and that didn't work either.

Theresa Simmons (Theresa)
Username: Theresa

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need a signal source that can directly drive an 8 ohm speaker.
Add an amplifier to your computer, and use the output that is meant
to drive a speaker.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration