Radio help Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Radio help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey V.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have built a radio using the crystal radio circuit and it worked, but many of the stations overlap (you hear one with another in the background) and there is a very loud fuzz sound in the background of all the stations. I am trying to build it for my brother's birthday. If anyone has any ideas on how to stop the stations from overlapping and stop the "fuzzing" please help!

Thanks in advance,

Jeff V.

Simon Quellen Field (sfield)
Username: sfield

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try it outside, away from computers and other
electronics that produce interference.

You can trade loudness for selectivity by using the
trick we use for the 10 minute radio. Wrap a wire
around the coil, and connect it to the antenna and
ground where the coil used to connect.

jvinokur
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for your help and responding is such record breaking time, WOW!!! I also have one more question, is it possible to make the radio with two capacitors instead of a coil and capacitor.

Thanks again,

Jeff V.

Simon Quellen Field (sfield)
Username: sfield

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No.
You need a resonant circuit, as described in the
Radio chapter. You might want to read the entire
chapter, as much of the discussion in any one
project can help elucidate issues in another.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration