How do you get Supermagnets apart? Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » How do you get Supermagnets apart? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you get supermagnets apart?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You slide them apart, instead of pulling them apart.

Ryan Somebody
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your like me, and sometimes you still can't seperate them, try this:

Take a pair of vice grips and some electrical tape. Wrap the electrical tape around the end of the vice grips so they won't damage the magnet when you clamp them down. Voila!

This works particularly well when you use steel vice grips, and it makes it a LOT easier to slide the magnets apart.

Ryan Somebody
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost forgot, if you don't have access to vice grips you can use a piece of sheet aluminum or copper to wedge them apart.

I'm very pleased with the high quality of the magnets, but is their anyway I could get an order to be shipped in heat shrink rubber (for demonstrations)?

Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The magnets have a very low Curie point.
The neat needed for the heat-shrink may cause
the magnets to become de-magnetized.

Zoch
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you can put a flame near it and they will come apart? Mine already cracked while I was trying to pull them apart

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, heating them will cause them to become useless lumps of
expensive gold-plated junk. The effect is permanent, or until
you re-magnetize them.

Jason
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the effects are permanent, how can the magnets be used in the curie heat engine?

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A regular steel nail is attracted to magnets.
It is not a magnet by itself.

You can magnetize the nail by stroking it on a
strong magnet. Now it is a magnet itself.

If you heat the nail to a temperature above its
Curie point, it will no longer be a magnet, and it
will no longer be attracted to magnets.

But, once the nail cools below its Curie point,
it will again be attracted to magnets. However,
it is back to its original state, and to make it
a magnet again, you will have to re-magnetize it.

The same thing happens with the NdFeB magnets.
The problem with re-magnetizing them is that they
require an extremely strong magnetic field in order
to make them as strong as they were when you purchased
them. Normally this is done at the factory with
expensive equipment.

William Beaty
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If magnets are so strong that you can't slide them apart, sometimes you can put them on the edge of a formica counter top, then push one magnet downwards while the other stays on the counter. That way you're using your weight instead of just finger-strength. This even works with absolutely humongous supermagnets.

Paul Carlisle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a couple pieces of 1x2 pine, joined at one end so they can pivot, as a pair of "scissors" to separate strong magnets that are smaller than the width of the boards. They won't mar the finish of the magnets, and aren't hard enough to do them any other sort of damage.

sumit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you tell..........
how lines of forces behaves while passing through diamagnetic material and paramagnetic material.
thanks
sumit

Username: Sfield

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See "http://scitoys.com/board/messages/1/535.html?1120423189".
You asked the same question in two different threads.
That doesn't help.

James Lee (Necrofear)
Username: Necrofear

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am writing this on behalf of anyone who needs to take the magnets apart.

James Lee (Necrofear)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get the magnets and put them on an edge of a counter and slide one off.

James Lee (Necrofear)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If u want it an easier way get a pair of pliers or a pair of vice grips and put tape around the "mouth" so it wont make dents or mess up your very expensive magnets. The first day i bought mines the gold "wrap" is going off because i am not being careful and aloowing the magnets to come together when i dont want them too.

James Lee (Necrofear)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take good care of your magnets. Treat them with your love and kindness. (LOL) What i am trying to say is dont misuse them and use them properly!

John Kondo (Smartypants)
Username: Smartypants

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how close do they( the magnets) have to be in order to get attracted to each other?

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Work with the magnets on a steel surface, so they don't jump together.
They might seem to be safely kept apart while sitting on the table a few
inches from one another, but giving the table a small bump can reduce the
friction and you quickly have magnets hitting one another with 20 Gs of force.

margaret (Maggiec)
Username: Maggiec

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

strange question, something I have neither the resources or expertise to answer for my 9 year old son.

THEORETICALLY: If you were to write a message in gold, sandwich it in-between 2 pieces of paper, sprinkle metal filings over the top and run a magnet underneath. Would the gold block the magnetic field in those areas, allowing the filings to be pulled to the blank areas thereby exposing the secret message?

appreciate your assistance.

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iron would work better.
It would also be cheaper.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration