Free Space Laser Data Transmiter Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Free Space Laser Data Transmiter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew P (Krazykiwi)
Username: Krazykiwi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having difficulties with the free space laser data transmiter. I have checked all the components and joints and all I can think of is the transistor is not the correct type. It is a 2N3904402. Is this the problem? Thank you.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your 3904 should work, it is a general purpose NPN transistor.
Does the LED light up?
Does the laser light up?
Do either of them flash as you send data?
Did you connect the LED and the laser in the right direction?
Does the LED light up when you connect it between pin 5 and pin 4?
If you connect it that way, does it flash when you send data?

Andrew P (Krazykiwi)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The LED doesn't light up. Niether does the laser. And they dont flash when I send data. And the flatened side of the LED is connected to the transistor. As far as I can figure, the laser is connected properly.
Do you mean taking the LED out of the circuit and attaching it directly to the pins?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't have to take it out of the circuit.
Just connect the end that isn't connected to a pin to the other pin.

Andrew P (Krazykiwi)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You lost me. The end of what that isn't connected to a pin?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration