Wierd problem with Laser Audio Transm... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Wierd problem with Laser Audio Transmitter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

nyx (Nyxynyx)
Username: Nyxynyx

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello im trying to build the laser transmitter. I'm using ipod connected to audio output transformer's 2ohm side, and the 1000ohm side is connected in series with laser pointer and 3v battery. Here I realised that the laser pointer is dimmer than before. However when connect the ipod to the 1000ohm side and the rest to the 2ohm side, the laser brightness is as normal when used in original state.

Now my receiver is made of a solar cell connected to my laptop's mic input. When i shine torchlight on the solar cell i get some noise coming from my laptop. When i on the room lights i get the 50hz hum. However, my laser pointer supposedly transmitting the modulated laser over to the solar cell do not cause any sound!! Any idea wat is the problem? I tried reversing the connections on the audio trasnformer, increasing the battery to 6v(laser uses2x1.5v AAA cells), bringnig the laser really close but nothing helps. Sometimes i get sound coming frmo the laptop even though im not shining laser on it. Probably the wires acting as antenna but the moment i on the laser pointer the sound stops...

Any help to get it to work is really appreciated!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try a different signal source.
Your iPod may not have enough power to modulate the laser.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration