Crystal Radio Help needed Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Crystal Radio Help needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry Venick (Elvee)
Username: Elvee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having my Cub Scout den build crystal radios next week. At first I was going to have them build the "quick & simple" radio, but the idea of making the tap loops in the coil and stripping them seemed a little tedious (I'm pre-making the coils and I need enough for 11 kids)

I took the design of the "10 Minute Radio", but instead of using the ferrite-loop antenna coil, decided to stick with the wound coil - minus the taps - thinking the variable capacitor would be able to tune in stations.

I made a prototype today. Coil is 24awg coated wire - 100 wraps on a 2 5/8" mailing tube. Antenna is 100' of 24awg coated wire.

I hooked it up and it works - clearly picks up 710khz which is a 50kw clear channel station. However; that's the only station it picks up - even turning the dial on the capacitor. There are 2 other 50kw clear channel stations nearby -660 & 770.

Here is a picture of the prototype. Alligator clip on right goes to antenna, one on left to ground.

Is there any way I can get this to tune in other stations?
radio prototype
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry Venick (Elvee)
Username: Elvee

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Addendum -

Did some googling and came up with something......

Attached the antenna to the third tap down from the top (30 wraps), and added a 47k resistor across the earphone. Now, when I turn the capacitor all the way to the left I start to get a faint, second station.

Are 100 wraps too many for this coil/capacitor combination? Like I said, I'm using 24awg coated wire.

I also have some 28# magnet wire and smaller diameter tubes (pvc, actually) - 1" and 1-1/2" OD I can use.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration