Magnet arrangement? Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Magnet arrangement? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Justin (Commander_bob)
Username: Commander_bob

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In you catalon you sell kits to levitate the graphite. There is one kit that shows nine magnets levitating one piece. How is it configured? I tried
NSN
SNS
NSN
but the graphite went to the corners and not the middle.
My magnets are a little bigger than the ones that you sell. (I think yours are 1/2" and mine are 3/4")
Thanks

Alex Roberts (Whoo_mythbusters)
Username: Whoo_mythbusters

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look on the actual page for that experiment, there is a link for a thread on this message board that discusses this exact problem in excruciating detail. Or you can use the search feature and find it as well. That is what the search is for so you don't have to add useless threads for problems that have already been discussed.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ours are 12 millimeters.
The graphite is 16 millimeters square.
If your magnets are larger, the graphite won't be big enough
to completely cover one, so it will seek the intersections.
Our magnets are also 50 MegaGaussOersteds, currently the strongest
that can be manufactured. That will affect the height of the levitation.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration