Gallium on glass? Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Gallium on glass? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Justin (Commander_bob)
Username: Commander_bob

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will gallium stick to the glass container? Is there a way to get it off or make it not stick? Can you hold gallium or will it coat your hands and drip everywhere? Is there something you can put gallium in that it won't stick to?

Thanks,
Justin

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gallium wets glass like water wets glass.
It wets your hands like water wets your hands.

Does water stick to Teflon?
It beads up, but the beads still 'stick'.

Coating the glass with gallium oxide is reported to work for thermometer tubes.

Justin (Commander_bob)
Username: Commander_bob

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So what you are saying is that if gallium is heated and left as a liquid it will slowly run off the sides of the glass and pool at the bottom? I want to buy some but if you can't see it or it sticks to things and you can't get it off the little amount in the bottle will soon be gone.

Pauli Karvinen (Paulika)
Username: Paulika

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

Does any one know light reflective factor of GaInSn alloy liguid (mirror use).
I only found that it is better than mercyry >75%.

What is best protection for brass against galinstan, Will acrylic-paint or thin household-plastic-foil work.

I am repairing old Leitz microscope reflective (phase-contrast) condenser prism with galinstan.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration