High voltage motor Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » High voltage motor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

roger vries
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have tried to build the high voltage motor, with the two cans and the aluminum foil on the tv. it does start to oscilate between the two cans once i turn on the tv but it calms down after a minute or two, then holding on two the can connected to the aluminum foil. the same thing happens as i turn it off. I just wonder whether modern tv screens do no longer provide enough energy to have the magnestism function, or whether the energy is getting lost somewhere on the way to the can. I have taped the cables directly to foil and can, is that a problem or other parts that i should be checking on?
thank you

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you are seeing is the expected behavior.

The foil on the screen forms a capacitor. When you turn on the TV,
it charges it. You can then extract the energy to run the motor,
in the process discharging the capacitor. When you turn the TV off,
the capacitor is charged in the opposite polarity. You will see the
pull-tab hesitate and then jump to the opposite can, and then oscillate
as before. Again, the capacitor will discharge, and you will need
to turn the TV on again to repeat the charging cycle.

If you want to run the motor continuously, use a different source of
high voltage, such as an ion generator or a Van de Graaff generator.

Matt Levine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

speaking of the ion motor.....

In the ion motor project, it says: the metal cap we saved in the last project". What project is it referring to, and if I didn't do the last project, what else can I use instead of that (something i could find around the house?)

Simon Quellen Field (sfield)
Username: sfield

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can just read the previous section to find
out, you don't have to actually build the VDG
just to find out how to remove the end of a
fuse.

Kevin H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Levine: For making the ion motor DO NOT USE FUSES FROM CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!!! The caps on the ends have holes in them that's filled with the solder which stops the free spinning on the paper clip (mostly it just turns one way and then goes the other way like a circular pendulum)...Use larger 5x20mm fuses...I found those to work perfectly while the smaller christmas light fuses just sort of wiggled around a bit...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration