Gallium Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Gallium « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex Roberts (Whoo_mythbusters)
Username: Whoo_mythbusters

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the Gallium "stick" to plastic. My Vial has cracked due to pressure increase inside of the bottle. It is not leaking yet, mostly because I have taken special care not to liquefy it. I have a few small plastic containers that would be suitable for holding the metal. I think the plastic is polystyrene with no rubber or color added. I don't want to transfer it into one of these containers if I would only be able to get half of it out because of it coating the inside. Or should I just stick with a small glass jar?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put it into a plastic bag.
It will wet the bag, but you can easily freeze it and remove
the solid metal by peeling off the bag.

Justin (Commander_bob)
Username: Commander_bob

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you use a glass jar spray it with that stuff that is used for cooking to make pans non-stick. I used Pam spray and it worked great! It does not coat the sides at all.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration