Is my cannon too hot/ does this happe... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Is my cannon too hot/ does this happen a lot? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Shack
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i built the film canister cannon, and it was sweet for about 15 trys, and then it blew out the side of the film canister...probably a weakness in the plastic. but not only that, as i was looking at my wires and the base they are all melted. as a matter of fact my wires are so melted that the current no longer goes to the end, but creates a spark mid wire. does this happen a lot? and should i start from scratch.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like you have a leak somewhere,
and excess fuel is burning, rather than properly
exploding.

I have never hear of this happening, but that is
the only explanation that comes to mind.

dan shack
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could it be because i was using lysol as a fuel source? (79% ethanol)

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly. But Binaca is cheap and has the benefit
of being a measured spray, so it is much easier to get the
right fuel to air ratio.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cant find Binaca in my area Concord Mi however a good fuel is travel size european fourmula hairspray i got a bottle at Meijers for less than a dollar but there is one problem sometimes it ignights the film can so be careful

Posted on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course we offer Binaca fuel in our catalog...
It has the advantage of giving the same measured amount in each spray,
making reliable operation of the cannon much easier.

David S
Posted on Friday, December 3, 2004 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ive had this happen useing hair spray.

ide fire the cannon and when i go to pick it up the fire would still be burning inside the black canister.

it also distroyed the base making leaks and more distruction.

i guess some fuels burn hotter than others.

lysdexia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've
I'd
destroyed, destruction

Simon Quellen Field (sfield)
Username: sfield

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You missed one. ;-)

But I'd rather that you answer the questions than
correct the spelling, unless you think no one
will understand the spelling or your answer.

lysdexia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tries
ignites

I put "using" in another message. Use a metal can then...

lukerussom (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 207.233.27.2
Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i desiend my own which it lights every time and shoots great, it took me about 3 months to get it perfict but it works great. if you want the plans send me a emial at lukerussom@aol.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration