Franklin's Bells Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Franklin's Bells « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having trouble getting the Franklin's Bells project to work. I know I'm getting voltage to one can because it feels statically charged when I run my finger along the side. The other can is also connected to a good ground, I used the ground that electrical devices plug into. The pull top doesn't even move when I have the voltage and ground hooked up, is there some things I could try to get it to work? I tried several different positions and rebuilt it once with different parts and it still didn't work.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may be in a humid area, which can make life difficult for static
electricity experiments.

However, you might find that placing the pop-top very close (or even touching)
the charged can can get it started.

If you are using the TV and foil as a high voltage source, try turning the TV
on and off several times in succession.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, its fairly humid here but not inside, my AC sucks most of the moisture out of the air when it cools it off right? I have fiddled around with swinging the pop-top and touching it to each of the cans. I haven't tried turning the TV on and off though.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it to go back in forth a few times when I reduced the space between the cans and changed the pop-top for a little ball of aluminum foil, but it doesn't keep going, it only goes about 4 or 5 times then stops.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The television is not a constant source of energy.
You charge it by turning it on or off.
The motor discharges it as it operates.
Turn the TV on and off once a second or so, and the motor will
keep working.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, so if I hook it up to a Van de Graf generator instead it will work as long as the generator is on?

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah the bells will work while the vdg is on as long as you don't run out of batteries

mike (Mike11298)
Username: Mike11298

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be careful if using mains ground - if another device fails, your exposed franklin's bells may become dangerous

Michael (Michaelt)
Username: Michaelt

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ground is ground and only carries current when there's a problem with an electrical device that makes a connection to the ground. It's not provided by the power company in residences, it's provided by the house builder in accordance with the applicable electrical code. In a properly wired house, using the center screw on the outlet or using the ground pole in a socket is a much more certain ground than a cold water pipe. (Of course, this depends on your house meeting electrical code.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration