I need help with the simple crystal r... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » I need help with the simple crystal radio. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

matthew devries (Matty)
Username: Matty

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 1, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK so i did everything right, but i can't here anything. Do you have any suggestions?

scott (Ichyc)
Username: Ichyc

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, October 1, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe there is no stations near you,or the ones that are near you aren't powerful enough to reach your radio try to go near a radio station close to your house.

Marcus Shaw (Schorhr)
Username: Schorhr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, October 2, 2006 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could post a photo of your setup if you have a
digital camera or one of those cheap 10 Dollar Webcams ;-)

Do you have a multimeter? What parts did you use? Anything "off-standard"?

matthew devries (Matty)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 2, 2006 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok i will try to get closer to a radio station.
I used every part it told me to use but instead of the enamel coated magnet wire i used Radio Shack Part # 2781292 instead of Radio Shack Part # 2781217 because they gave me what the first part#.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Monday, October 2, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both of those are vinyl coated wire.
You want enamel coated magnet wire.

The vinyl coated wire has a much thicker insulation, which makes the
spacing between the coils much larger than it would be with magnet wire.
You can use it, but you will have to use many more turns than you would
with magnet wire.

It looks like Radio Shack part number 278-1345 is what you want, or you can
take apart an old transformer or wall-wart power supply, or a motor, to get
enamel coated magnet wire.

matthew devries (Matty)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 2, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok thanks i will try that instead.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration