Neat help with 2 things Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Neat help with 2 things « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I am a big fan of the site (please post some new experiments). Where do I get polyresin for the water bomb. Also how do i bulid a lifter, and is there a way to make a relatively safw HV power source for it. I think its neat theres not an explanination for its levitation. Thanks Matt

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Polyester resin is available in hardware stores.
It is used with glass fiber cloth to make fiberglass.

There are plenty of sites that show you how to
build the high voltage engine called a lifter.
I have yet to see one that doesn't pretend that
there is something mysterious about it, or that
it would make a good rocket engine.

The lifter works by moving molecules, like other
high voltage motors. Like the radiometer, it
works better in a near vacuum, where the mean
free path of the molecules is longer. But in
a good vacuum, it won't work, as there are not
enough molecules to move. Adding a little gas
to work with would make it similar to an ion
engine, but less efficient.

So far I haven't seen anyone build one that was
big enough to lift it's power supply. A tethered
flying machine is not very useful, and we have
cranes that are much more efficient at lifting
things.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Simon,
What will make a power supply strong enough for a lifter made out of balsa wood and aluminum and copper wire.

Thanks Again

Matt

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to know more about the lifter,
talk to this guy:
Jean-Louis Naudin

Gregory
Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a clueless 12 year old who loves your site and was wondering how to solder. I need to solder the parts of the AM transmitter and I have never soldered before, please help me.
Thank You

Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are some good sites on the web, such as
this one, or this one.

The AM transmitter doesn't actually need to be soldered.
But soldering the connections will make them stand
up better to the abuse they get at a science fair.

Soldering can be a lot of fun. My daughter loved
learning how -- she loved to melt the solder. She
was a little younger than you are, but I think
you'll enjoy it as well.

Practice with some junk wire for a bit, then dive
right in. The instructions make it sound more
difficult than it is -- the AM transmitter is
forgiving of many soldering mistakes. Just go
for it!

Gregory
Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you VERY MUCH

Leonardo
Posted on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I'm having a problem building the laser comunicator to be specific in the recivier part, the problem is that we (others friends are helping me to build the project) use the solar cells so we imagine that is the problem, we tested two but when we try to make contact there is no sound coming from the stereo, they think it could be or the laser that it isn't producing enough enrgy to make the voltage or could be solar cell, the first part we have it as you describe it but the second is where we are stucked anyway we will try to do it if we find with te photoresistor but we are afraid that it will be the same. Could you give us an explanation of what's hapeninnig or what part did we get wrong.

Posted on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First test the receiver using a fluorescent light
or a computer monitor or TV screen. All of these
light sources flicker very quickly, and you can
hear the sounds by holding the solar cell close
to one of them.

This will let you know if there is a problem with
your receiver. Once you have a receiver that works,
you can test the transmitter.

Posted on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It also may be that you are connecting the solar
cell to the wrong input of your stereo. It needs
to connect to a "high impedance" input, such as
the "phono" input. Inputs designed for devices
that produce lots of power will not work. A
phonograph produces only a tiny amount of power,
and the stereo knows to amplify that signal more
than the signal from auxilliary devices or tape
decks.

ALAA Y OKASHA
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DEAR SIR:
COULD YOU HELP ME IN CONSTRUCTING A SMALL PLANE WHICH WILL REALY FLY OVER EVEN FOR A SMALL ALTITUDE BUT USING A SMALL RECORDER MOTOR AND SOME BATTERIES.
TANKS A LOT
SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

James Lee (Necrofear)
Intermediate Member
Username: Necrofear

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The small plane... describe to me how you are going to make the plane like are going to use cardboard or what??? The batteries will make more weight go on the plane so we need to know what the plane will be made up of

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration