Would this work Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Would this work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I made a track out of some strong wire and ran a 9v current throug it could I propel something like the projectile in the 10 minute rail gun project down it?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are suggesting replacing the aluminum foil track with a pair of wires.

How are you planning to keep the wheels on the wires?

If you attach a couple washers to each magnet, where the washers are slightly
larger than the magnet, you can make the wheels into pulleys that will stay on
the wire. The extra friction may be too much for the device, but it sounds
worth a try.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what if I put another pair of magnets under the first ones would that possibly hold them on?

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can try.
The wire is round, and the magnets should fall off as soon as it moved.
The washers make it stay on the same way railroad cars stay on the track.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what if I flattened the wire with a hammer?

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not use something that is already flat, like aluminum foil?

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to make a loop and I need something stronger.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what i'm trying to do is make a roller coaster type thing for a science project and i need a strong bendable wire that i can run the magnets on would 3 9v batteries in a series work?

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if i used the washers and i used 3 9v batteries in a series could i possibly geet it to work???

Posted on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try it.
I think all of the most likely problems you might find are things you
are capable of fixing.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration