Electromagnetic Gauss Rifle Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Electromagnetic Gauss Rifle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex Bicksler (Burtonlang)
Username: Burtonlang

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 1, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For a Physics project, I am supposed to create an electromagnetic device (like a generator, a motor, a Magnetohydrodynamic boat, etc.) I was thinking about building a Gauss rifle, but was wondering if I could replace the individual magnets with electromagnets. I have a bunch of 1/2" by 2" bolts, and I have access to a bunch of magnet wire. I coiled wire around one of the bolts until it was about an inch in diameter, and hooked it up to a 9v battery. It's magnetic, and can hold about three 1/2" steel balls. What should I do to make the electromagnets stronger, and how should I align them to make an ideal gauss rifle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theresa Simmons (Theresa)
Username: Theresa

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, March 1, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll want the electromagnets to have the same mass as the balls.
To make them stronger, do two things:
1. Add more turns of wire.
2. Raise the voltage so more current goes through the wire.

The strength of an electromagnet is measured in ampere-turns.
You can increase it by adding turns, or increasing the amps.

Putting several 9 volt batteries in series is fairly easy to do.
When the electromagnet gets so hot you start to smell insulation
burning, you will either need to back off the voltage, or cool the
electromagnet somehow (water cooling comes to mind).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration