Bismuth/Lead/Tin alloy Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Bismuth/Lead/Tin alloy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shaun Lung (Firnagzen)
Username: Firnagzen

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ordered the bismuth from the catalog a few days earlier and have been wondering. Is it safe to melt down fishing weights and 60Sn/40Pb solder to make the metal that melts in hot water? People keep telling me that the lead is dangerous and I should do it another way. Also, can a regular gas stove supply enough heat for this purpose?

Last question, if I use 60Pb/40Sn solder and bismuth, and after it solidifies, I stick it into a cup of boiling water, won't the non eutectic parts of the metal remain in solid form while the rest melts? (Assuming that the water doesn't reach 103.8 degrees celsius, of course.)

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lead is toxic.
Don't eat it.

Suppose you made a non-eutectic mixture of sand and candle wax into a rod.
Now hold it halfway into a cup of hot water.
The sand and liquid wax will drip as a liquid, even though the sand has
not melted.

Shaun Lung (Firnagzen)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ummm. But the problem people warn me of is the vapour, because when it's a liquid, it will evaporate. And I DO know that lead vapour is toxic, so how can I avoid inhaling the vapour? Seal up the stuff ina container?

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The vapor pressure of lead is 0.000000421 Pascals at its melting
point of 327.6 degrees Celsius.

Compare that to mercury at 0.0002 Pascals at its melting point of
-38.83 degrees Celsius and you can see why people worry about
mercury vapor but don't worry so much when they are soldering
electronics parts with lead based solder.

Shaun Lung (Firnagzen)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, now I have a new question.

What kind of container is the best to melt it in? Will a metal container contaminate the alloy? Should I get a clay pot instead?

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A steel cup should work fine.
Or a cast-iron pot.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration