Van de graff motor shaft Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Van de graff motor shaft « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shaft of the motor for my van de graff generator is too short to put tape on it. On the web page, you said something about using a plastic pulley with a hole in it that you could use. Where can I get one of these?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just make one out of a bit of plastic.
Or ask at a hobby store that sells motors.

David S
Posted on Friday, April 2, 2004 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i used a ink cartrage from a basic pen
just push it onto the motor shaft and its done

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great! Thanks a lot!

Kevin H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had previously taken apart an old remote control car. I used the gears from that to drive a separate driveshaft (made from a smoothed down nail) so I wouldnt have to worry about the rubber band slipping off. I'm not sure if my motor can handle driving the gear and the rubberband at the same time...How can I tell if my machine is generating static without inserting all the wires? I've also made makeshift hotglue edges on the glass fuse to prevent the rubber band from flying off and am using an asparagus (vegetable rubber band) band b/c it is much wider...How much difference does it make with the wide vs the narrow rubberbands? How fast must the motor spin to generate as much static as the tv?

surendra murthy.c (Science_boy)
Username: Science_boy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my vdg was a success, but tell me whether the brushes should touch the rubber band or not.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration