Oscillator Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Oscillator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew D (Ajd344)
Username: Ajd344

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey! I built the AM transmitter. Its works awesome-ly. I have some wires stranded around my basement and the signal can be heard around my house. I felt my oscillator and it felt kinda warm. Adding an old computer fan on top seemed to help, but I dont have that many batteries!

I have 3 questions:

Is it OK to leave it on 24/7?
Should I use 5Volts instead?
Is there any way to improve the signal upstairs?

Thanks!

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The oscillator can run hot. It won't hurt it.

If you want a better signal, you can get a license (easy to do) and put out more power,
or you can get a more sensitive receiver, or you can use a bigger antenna on the receiver.

Andrew D (Ajd344)
Username: Ajd344

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's good! I was really worried I was feeding too much power into it. I'll look into the license too. I heard if you get the right transmitter/antena, you can broadcast 1/2 mile away without a license.

Thanks again. It was really fun building this, and I learned how to solder!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration