Homemade earpiece Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Homemade earpiece « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Bohnhoff (Mud)
Username: Mud

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that I have my crystal radio working (with a razor detector since I didn't feel like waiting till a germanium diode arrived in the mail), I've tried to build an earpiece to go with it. As described in the book, I wrapped thin enammeled wire around a nail 300 or so times and gave it a magnet bias at the end.
The earpiece responds when I run 1.5 volts through it but it won't respond when connected to my radio and I don't get a "click" when I touch the ends togeather as I do with my piezoelectric earpiece.
I assume that the problem is that the end of the nail is too far from the tympanum end of the can (another site said the core had to be within a few thousandths of an inch).
Would wrapping the nail more allow me to have the head of the nail farther away from the can?

Troy (Pharoah)
Intermediate Member
Username: Pharoah

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you just want to get you radio working, you could probably find a crystal element that would work fairly easily. They are in toys, those little cards that play music, etc.

Matt Bohnhoff (Mud)
Username: Mud

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Troy.

mike (Mike11298)
Username: Mike11298

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because your 'speaker' is electromagnetic it has much less response freq. than the piezo.

paulo melendez (Paul0)
Username: Paul0

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, October 5, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

although i really would want to build my own earphone

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration