Radio Ground Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Radio Ground « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Bohnhoff (Mud)
Username: Mud

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm building a crystal radio and, rather than running a wire down the hall to the nearest water pipe, I hope to plug it into the ground of the houses electrical system (only using the bottom prong on a three prong plug). Is this a good idea of a really bad one? I often have trouble telling the difference until after I try it and something goes terribly wrong, so I figured I would ask first. Thank you very much, both for your expected answer and for your great book.

Alex Roberts (Whoo_mythbusters)
Advanced Member
Username: Whoo_mythbusters

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would just not do it. yes, it is just a ground with no charge but you never know what might go wrong. If there is faulty wiring or if you accidentally get to close to one of the other outlets. Just run the wire to the pipe or set up your own ground outside.

Charlotte H (Charlotte)
Username: Charlotte

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to figure out how to ground my crystal radio also...do I really just hook it up to any old water pipe? a faucet? this sounded strange and I saw on another site that "The electrical earth or water service at home is NOT a good or safe earth for this project, in fact it is VERY DANGEROUS." isn't that what the instructions say to do?

well I hope not to get electrocuted...so where specifically do I hook up my radio to the ground?

also:
are alligator clips necessary or can one connect the wires by twisting or something else?

(that probably sounds silly, but I don't know much about this)

thanks.

Alex Roberts (Whoo_mythbusters)
Username: Whoo_mythbusters

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where ever you got your information about it being dangerous is completely

wrong. The only reason Simon said a cold water pipe, is because most homes

have a cold water pipe, which does eventually lead to the earth, so it is a

good ground. An alligator clip might be too small for the pipe but you can

take some stripped wire and twist it around the pipe a few times, really you

can do anything as long as the wire is electrically connected to the grounded

pipe. If for some reason you can not use a cold water pipe, then you can make

you own ground. Take a metal pole (screwdriver, old steel bar, possibly an old

copper water pipe) and just stick it in your front or back lawn, or the

closest patch of earth you can get to, then connect your ground wire from your

radio to the newly grounded object, and that is a ground. But whatever you do,

DO NOT use the ground from a wall socket you never know what might go wrong,

doing it the way I just described, is completely safe.

george (George)
Username: George

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 8, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could you use a negative power sourse for a good ground.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Thursday, June 8, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No.

A ground has to source and sink energy of any polarization.

You are confusing an earth ground with a negative circuit ground.

george (George)
Username: George

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, June 8, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was asking if you could.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration