Franklin bell trouble Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Franklin bell trouble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

donnaroehrig
Posted on Sunday, February 1, 2004 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We built the fancier version of this project from the picture on the site, but we cant get it to work. Does the copper wire need to be a certain gauge or connected straight to the bell and not the split ring? Is there a certain kind or size of alligator lead test that we need? We tried holding the end lead to conduct the ground, but that didnt work either. We also tried it to a computer metal case and that didnt work. What could we be doing wrong? Some help or ideas on what to do would be great!!! My son is really interested in doing this, but discouraged that it didnt work.

Thanks,
Donna

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Posted on Sunday, February 1, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some things to check:
1. Make sure you have a good source of high voltage.
If you get a good shock from the aluminum foil on the TV,
you are probably OK. The shock will not damage you, just
cause your hand to jerk.
2. Make sure that the parts are clean. Dirt and grease are good
conductors at high voltage.
3. Play with the separation between the bells. You can also try
giving the clapper a start with your finger.

surendra murthy.c (Science_boy)
Username: Science_boy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i did the franklin bell and it worked. but it only worked when the tv was switched on and again during when i switched off .it did'nt move when the tv was running.do you think using a van de graaf generator will prove more effective than tv.when i checked the tv screen with voltmeter it read only 1.5v.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The TV is acting as a capacitor.
Turning it on or off charges it up.
Letting it discharge through the bells means that you will have
to charge it back up again, by turning it on or off.

This is how it is supposed to work.

A VDG will generate a steady high voltage.
So will the devices in battery powered electrostatic air purifiers,
and power supplies for helium-neon lasers.
A Wimshurst generator:
"http://www.anatomyphysics.com/store/item/1cjem/Science/Wimshurst_Machine.html"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration