Electric "Rat Zapper" Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Electric "Rat Zapper" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leo Roderick Guajardo, II (Lrodshy57)
Username: Lrodshy57

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was in HS, made a project which consisted of one "D" cell, eletromotive core, a 'zinc' penny, and a thin strip of brass! Touching a wire to a finger gave you a good buzz, when circut was made/broken as the penny vibrated back and forth. Placing wires into glass of water and inserting your fingers made them feel like they were EXPLODING! Was a blast! Wish I had that circut! Now I wish to make one for zapping invading RATZ! Would like to use an AC/DC adapter, too! Have called several bookstores for suggestions, no help. If you have anything along this idea, please contact me. Tnx!

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A rat zapper can be had for $35. You can disassemble one to
get the circuit and make more yourself.

Leo Roderick Guajardo, II (Lrodshy57)
Username: Lrodshy57

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simon,
Tnx for reply. I 'did' buy one........for $49! Sent email to mfg asking if I can use an AC?DC adapter. Recommended batteries cost about $15 for one month's use! I wish I was better able to understand electronics, would like to make a few for my neighbor's,too! That way they would NOT send their ratz to MY HOUSE.............again! Think I read disassembly would void the warranty. Any other ideas?
Do you think you could design such a 'toy' shocker as the one which I describe when in HS?

mike (Mike11298)
Username: Mike11298

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you might be able to find a high voltage low current converter - i have one from a fluro light designed to work at 12v. it can light fluro tubes, neons, and nice zaps

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration