HAVING TROUBLE BUILDING CURIE EFFECT ... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » HAVING TROUBLE BUILDING CURIE EFFECT HEAT ENGINE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joshua Lim (Vdg)
Username: Vdg

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr. Field,

I am having trouble building a curie effect heat engine. I use my own ceramic magnets and balance everything on 2 tea-lights but use iron wire for the brass wire that you said i should use. I also did not solder the wire but taped it on with some insulating tape. My NIB magnet (nickel plated and low N grade, surplus)was coated in 3 layers of foil squeezed together with a pliers. I punched a hole in the foil and threaded a few copper wires (from a spoilt motor shaft) in the hole and tied it to the iron wire. I used a candle and even a lighter and soldering iron but all i got was a lot of smoke and a layer of carbon coated on the foil.

I need help please

(Message edited by vdg on April 30, 2008)

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't use iron wire.
It is magnetic.
Use copper or brass.

You also probably have too much mass for a candle to heat up to the proper
temperature. Use less mass, or a hotter flame (propane torch, or alcohol lamp).

Joshua Lim (Vdg)
Username: Vdg

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could i use your ring magnets from the catalog?

-josh

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The little tiny ones we sell in the Ring Launcher kit work great.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration