Portable Radio Problem Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Portable Radio Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Bosworth (Ben)
Username: Ben

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I bought the kit from scitoys, built it, and can't hear a thing. The box I'm using is 15"x12" with 13 or 14 turns. Is there just no strong radio stations here? I was thinking of building the 1MHz radio to test it and possibly use during our science fair as a signal source in case there are no strong stations at the school. What do you think?

Thanks!

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your earphone may have become polarized by static electricity from
your fingers. Hold it a foot above the table and drop it. This will
generate electricity and depolarize it. You can tell if it is working
by touching the leads together while the earphone is in your ear. If
you hear sound, it is working.

When others have had problems it was because they had connected the
capacitor improperly. Check all the connections carefully. Send us a
photo if you still can't get it to work, and we will look for any problems.

Rohan (Digital)
Advanced Member
Username: Digital

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if u have a walkie talkie then u put the earfone in ur ears and then press the buzzer of the walkie talkie if u listen sounds then ur radio is working

Ben Bosworth (Ben)
Username: Ben

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I got it to work. Adding a ground was the trick. Unfortunately there are very few AM radio stations in the area and the one I get best is a polka station! Polka is indeed fine music but my 11 year old is unimpressed.

Is there any reason why building the simple AM transmitter cannot be used with a boom box or clock radio to provide the signal source instead of the local polka station?

Thanks!

John Kondo (Smartypants)
Intermediate Member
Username: Smartypants

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

probably because you are too high or too low from the 1 megahertz mark and will need to take away or add a few turns. other than that i dont have any other suggestions. good luck and good hunting(for radio stations!)
PS, I like polka

(Message edited by smartypants on June 4, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration