LM386 light seeking robot Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » LM386 light seeking robot « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick (Firewire)
Intermediate Member
Username: Firewire

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made an LM386 light seking robot, but I don't know if it's working properly... I made the circuit first on a bread board and tested the circuit, and the problem here is that when I momentarily cover one of the sensors, it keeps only one motor "on" until I momentarily cover the other sensor to turn the other motor on... What I mean is that if I covered the light sensor for the left motor, only the left motor will turn on, and if I cover the right light sensor only the right motor turns on. If I cover both sensors at the same time, only the previously activated motor will turn, same goes when both sensors are receiving equal amount of light... And the other problem is the sensors are not that sensitive to even the slightest change in lighting, and I think that it will only react when there is very high contrast between light and dark side... I did the original diagram that I found on a website, and that uses an IR LED as the sensors, I tried using that and a light dependent resistor... both gave the same results... can anyone give a suggestion? Or can someone confirm if that's how it should really function... thanks in advance to those who could help...

Patrick (Firewire)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally got my Mouse bot to work (I figured out that bad lighting and a broken sensor caused the problem) here it is...

The upper left shows the motors, the lower left shows the "wheels"(it's made from the ouser cover of a thick wire that snugly fits the motor's shaft), the upper right shows the Brain of the robot and indicator light, and the lower right part shows the robot with its cover, and the light sensor(white dot on the front)...

The Brown rectangular object seen on the center photo is a plug from a 12v computer fan, I used that for the signal input so I could put any kind of sensor that I could think of, thus making my mouse bot a bit more expandable. The white wire is for the 9V battery...

Patrick (Firewire)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sigh, old model was destroyed, look what happened after...

Before:

After:

The last one will assure you that this is a mouse bot... :-)

Rohan (Digital)
Advanced Member
Username: Digital

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could make it look more nice by doing some pakaging in a box or somthing else. any how wats ur age and did u take this idea frm instructables.com

Patrick (Firewire)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a "Mouse Bot", why would I like to place it on a box or something? Though my next photovores will be placed inside a 9 volt battery casing, and make tons of them and release them all at once... I'm 16 and I took the circuit diagram from www.streettech.com.

Patrick (Firewire)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a better brain for photovores. The LP324 is the same as the LM386, but has four low power OP-amps inside it.. The lm386 only has 2 inputs and 1 output, while the LP324 has 8 inputs and 4 outputs... This is better to use than using four separate lm386's...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration