Railgun help Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Railgun help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicole Hawley (Jollyhawley)
Username: Jollyhawley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought the 20mm gold plated magnets in your catalog for the railgun and cut about 2 inches off a coat hanger and made sure the magnets are facing the correct way and glued the aluminum strips on cardboard- but I can't seem to get it to work. I've tested the volatage on the aluminum strips and the voltmeter is showing me I have current. I've even connected 54 volts to the strips. However, I can't get the magnets to move at all. I've checked the voltage on the aluminum strips with the magnets on them, and it's always 0. What am I doing wrong?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they move if you give them a small push?

Do you get sparks when you lift the magnets from the aluminum?

Do you have enough current? You didn't say what your source was
for the 54 volts, but small batteries and most power supplies can't
source as much current as is needed to move the 20 mm magnets.

A 12 volt car battery, or a gel-cell from an un-interruptible power supply
should work fine.

The 5 mm magnets are small enough to move with a 9 volt battery.

Nicole Hawley (Jollyhawley)
Username: Jollyhawley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, therin lies the problem- I was using regular nine volt batteries to power it. I went ahead and ordered some of the 6mm magnets. Thanks for your help!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration