Spectroscope Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Spectroscope « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luca
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 151.28.30.175
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've buy some 1000 line/mm diffraction grating to build the spectroscope. The ditance between the slit (made with two single edged razor blade)and the viewing hole is 23 cm about.....
....but lines of the spectrum are too much close themselves.

How can I obtain a larger spectrum, with more distance between the single lines?
Must I change the distance from the slit and the viewing hole, or the distance of lines is only determined by the 1000 line/mm diffration grating?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the lines are overlapping, the slit is too large.
If the lines are distinct, but you just want more distance between them
to see them better, make a simple telescope from two lenses and place
that on your side of the grating.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration