Tabbed piezoelectric ignitor...what b... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I am having trouble building one of the toys » Tabbed piezoelectric ignitor...what brand? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous

Posted From: 68.38.130.36
Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking for some Piezoelectric ignitors but all I have seen on your site are the types with the small, metal bar at the bottom.

It's really hard to solder/attach a wire to those, even with a small torch.

I'm trying to find out what lighters have the type of Piezoelectric ignitors with the two small metal tabs on them.

If anyone knows what brand lighters have the tabbed piezoelectric ignitors please let me know.

thanks

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is a pic of the one im talking about

P

AnotherAnonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.162.11.178
Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what brand they are, but I have gotten two ignitors exactly like that from certain shape/color disposable BBQ lighters. I couldn't find an exact color match (and the only one I have left is in small pieces), but they look like this (except the metal tip is black and handle/base is red, and they are non-refillable, and there is no safety button on the back):
http://hqcompany.com/images/BBQ_Lighter002.gif
However, they might have changed design. I haven't bought one in 5 years. You might be able to find them at a camping, hardware, or sporting goods store.

David S...starter of this thread
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the last one i got one of these from was all red with a plack metal tube

im 30% it was Bic but...

ill do some searching on ebay

AnotherAnonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.162.11.25
Posted on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, same thing then. I have pieces of one left, but no markings indicating brand.

A newer bic I have is transparent, and shows the piezo inside with one wire and one bar. You might just have to adapt if nothing around contains the old kind. Have you tried drilling into the bar to solder to it?

Dylan Gordon (Smartkid)
Username: Smartkid

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm if i rember correctly the brass end on the black ones are threaded and can be screwed off so you can solder on a wire without melting the case or cracking the crystyl . just be carefull not to disturb the crystyl becase they are extremly delicate and will break easily.also have you tried sanding the brass end to remove the oxidasion that keeps the solder from sticking?

David S
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for that info D.G.

ill try removing that brass bar

--------------------

i just went on ebay yesterday and placed a bid on a 10 pack of these lighters

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-10-Gas-Lighter-BBQ-Fireplace-Grill-wholesale-FIRE_W0QQitemZ5227853065QQcategoryZ87133QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ill let you guys know what type sparter is in them

David S
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have not gotten those lighters yet but they should be here soon

on another note
i found one of the old lighters (allready taked apart) and remembered that these were the ones with the tabbed sparkers

here is the one i found
http://photobucket.com/albums/y22/moody07747/Film%20Can%20Cannon/

brand: Calico

David S
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok the lights i ordered on ebay (link above) have the type of sparker that is sold here

but
the metal end does unscrew from the black plastic so it can be soldered

(soldering these is not easy, be sure to use lots of flux and i use a small pencil torch to solder items this big)

im working on some PVC pipe and wire nits now
my plan is to use one of the lighters to pump fuel into the tube and spark and then i will be able to stick wire nuts in the pipe and launch them

i did this at votech school and these wire nuts went really fast/far

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration