Satellite Internet connection!!??? Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I want you to add a new chemical to your "Ingredients" book. » Satellite Internet connection!!??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jane
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible to connect to any ISP, (if one has an account with that isp) through satellite dish? If one is living in the farm where there isnt any landline phone! Please help! if anyone has any info!

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if you have a digital satellite internet connection, that *is* your ISP. There isn't much point in connecting to another "ISP" once you have one. However, connecting to services on another ISP may be what you refer to? Like, being able to check and send email? Access your website? Other than that, your account on your former ISP (that you probably used through phone line, cablemodem, fiber optics, etc) probably won't be much use to you. That is, if you can get to the internet, you don't need a second ISP.

Most digital satellite internet users cheat a bit. They use a phone line in tandem. All the satellite does is let you do boosted downloads, but all upstream communication is done through the phone line. This is simply because it is much cheaper and easier just to receive satellite signals. If you have no phone line then you will need to send signals from your farm up 22,000 miles into space. Last I checked you needed the FCC to come out and supervise installation of this sort of device.

Also, you might not believe it, but satellite internet (especially the land-line-less type) is slower than dialup. At first anyways. After 22,000 miles through space, four times, the speed of light delays start to add up. When downloading streaming video or large files the satellite is fast, as it is all one way. When playing games that require constant bi-directional communication, it is slow.

If you have a satellite phone connection, you can probably dial up through any ISP (though fantastically expensive long distance charges may apply). I don't think you can connect to a cablemodem/ISDN/ADSL/Fiberoptic based ISP through satellite unless you have unlimited funds and lots of influence in said ISP.

So, if your question was:

Can you get online through satellite? Yes. DISH and DirecTV offer this I believe.

Can you send/receive email from your old ISP while stuck on a farm using satellite internet? Usually. Most ISPs let you receive your email from abroad. Not all will let you send however. Something you might try is to have them forward your email to a web based account (hotmail/gmail/etc)

FTP/NNTP/SSH/IRC/TELNET? Most (but not all) ISPs allow their members to remote access such services.

Can you use a satellite internet connection to connect through your ISP to do everything web-based? Not likely, I can't think of many reasons you'd want to either, unless you needed your IP address to match what it used to be on said secondary ISP (access restrictions for private sites?)

HTH

jane
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thank you very much, you been a great help!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration