Where can i find a lot of facts about... Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I want you to add a new chemical to your "Ingredients" book. » Where can i find a lot of facts about a chemical? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bianca
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am researching the following chemicals :Aminomethyl Propanol, Sodium Carbonate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Bicarbonate and Panthenol for a big project due at the end of this year for my chemistry class. I need a lot of facts about each chemical, but i cannot seem to find any. Any of your help would be greatly appreciated and the sooner the better!! Because I need this by tomorrow. Thank you

Simon Quellen Field (sfield)
Username: sfield

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The manufacturers are usually very helpful.
You probably found my book by doing a Google
search (I am the first thing you find for
"aminomethyl propanol"), but try looking at
some of the other links. You can limit your
search to only peer-reviewed scholarly journals
by using the new Google Scholar function.

Anonymous

Posted From: 216.188.253.20
Posted on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A good way to search for chemicals is to enter the acronym MSDS. This stands for Material Safety Data Sheet.

This, combined with the chemical name will usually give concicely formatted MSDS sheets, which are common in industry for identification purposes. PDF is often a standard format of the MSDS.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be careful trusting MSDS sheets.
They are written for lawyers, not chemists, and frequently get things wrong,
and almost always greatly exaggerate the dangers.

Try Googling for "MSDS sodium chloride".
They suggest goggles, lab coats, and gloves for handling it.
Washing with soap and water if it gets on your skin.
Containers may be hazardous when empty.

Some other fun ones:
distilled water.
alpha-D-glucopyranosyl-beta-D-fructofuranoside I especially like the LD50 for this one (the amount needed to kill half the rats that ate that amount).
air.
sand severe health risk -- causes cancer. May cause eye irritation. Harmful if inhaled. Smoking can increase the risk of lung injury.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration