Sugar substitute Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I want you to add a new chemical to your "Ingredients" book. » Sugar substitute « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ordanary sugar is sucrose, what are sugar substitutes usually made out of?

lysdexia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ordinary

They're chlorinated sucrose halves, or sugar alcohols. The former are not substitutes though.

Simon Quellen Field (sfield)
Username: sfield

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A short answer is almost always wrong.

I cover many sweeteners (nutritive and non-nutritive)
in my Ingredients book. Look for the section labeled
"Sweeteners".

lysdexia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, they can behalogenated sucrose halves in various arrangements. The Splenda (sucralose) commercials lie about it tasting just like sugar. Sure it tastes like part sugar, but also part plastic.

The aspartame page has a misspelling, and the sorbitol page's diagrams don't reflect the two hydrogens you describe.

lysdexia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

halogen = saltmaker

Under the chemical definition, this doesn't only include the fluoride group on the periodic table, but any anion from an acid (nitrate, citrate, chloride, amide), or Lewis acid. Sugar substitutes overlap the esters. I'm not exactly sure, but it looks like for a compound to be sweet it must be squiggly and cramped somewhat. Any more and it turns fatty...

I love the sugar alcohols. They're using them in the new toothpastes. They don't have halogens, only lots of hydroxyls. They're the same atoms as hydroxides but the bonding is more equal. Though I'd done some thinking about chemical reform, and consider these compounds (alcohols, polyols) to be hydroethers.

Shahid Masood (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.154.248.140
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1-What is the maximum safe limit of sodium benzoate for cola drinks?
2-Can use of High fructose corn syrup in place of sucrose economise us ?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 754
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The USDA sets the limits for sodium benzoate in soft drinks.
You need to contact them.

Corn syrup is used in the U.S. because the sugar subsidies here
make the price of sugar too expensive. In other countries, that
is not the case, and sugar is much much cheaper.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration