Allergic reactions Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I want you to add a new chemical to your "Ingredients" book. » Allergic reactions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

melanie croan
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have eczema and have found out im allergic to cocamidopropyl betaine. i am having difficulties finding a shampoo that does not contain this ingrediant. im appealing to anyone that can help as im becomming quite desperate to find a shampoo.

my email address is wannabebuffy2002uk@yahoo.co.uk

thank you

melanie

Janey Sullivan
Posted on Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm extremely allergic to sodium benzoate and want to know why I have a
penicillin type reaction to it, and my heart beat went to 182 after
having a Dr. Pepper. It didn't go down for 3 days, and I almost
died. Can people tell me why this is happening. Thanks

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know if sodium benzoate is in coffee, such as Starbucks? I have had two allergic reactions with an extremely acidic stomach, headaches and vomitting. It is similar to having 2 glasses of low quality wine. I had the same reaction before.

I have only been drinking one cup of Starbuck's per day but after the weekend's episodes where I thought I had the flu, I have switched to de-caf because I think there is sodium benzoate in the coffee beans. Is this product used for wines as well?

jmccullum
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know if benzocaine contains epoxy. Every time I go to the dentist, i get a reaction after being given benzocaine. I am allergic to the epoxy that's in glue and so many other things.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know if there are any allergic reactions or indigestion upsets that could cause constipation in young children from this?

gooden t (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.161.181.238
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ihave had several reactions to flavored soft drinks and fruit drinks. The only comon igredient is sodioum benzoate/potassium benzoate. Unfortunately, I have had to seek emergency care from angioedema, facial edema, loss of voice, coughing, chest tightness, and a large edematous rash, from head to toe. In the ER I was administered solumedrol itravenous, and epinephrine itramuscular with each visit.

However, the allergist drew my blood for IgE IgA test came back negative. But, I refuse to eat/drink anything with benzoate. I was told it is a sensivity not true allergy. Does any have this problem?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can Google "benzoate sensitivity" and get some information.
It sounds like it is not an allergen (your body is not treating it like
a foreign invader and creating antibodies that attack your own body
instead). Some people just lack the enzymes to break down certain
chemicals, and so those chemicals can cause problems that most
people don't share.

Let's take alcohol as an example.
In normal human bodies, alcohol is oxidized to acetaldehyde, which
is quite toxic. But an enzyme quickly converts that to acetic acid,
which is harmless in small doses such as that produced by heavy
drinking.

But some people lack the enzyme to get rid of acetaldehyde. They
throw up whenever they drink even small amounts of alcohol.

Since there is no allergic reaction, there are no immunoglobulins produced,
since the immune system is not involved. Therefore, the reaction is just
a sensitivity, not an allergy. So it won't show up in an IgE IgA test.

Another similar situation is lactose intolerance. People with that problem
are not allergic to milk, they just can't digest the lactose in it, and
so it goes into the gut, where it feeds bacteria, causing upset. But people
don't understand the difference between an actual allergy and a sensitivity,
so they say they are allergic, even when they aren't.

Christina Piver (Allergymom)
Username: Allergymom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 1, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a parent of a child with a list of allergies to foods and such and I recommend to anyone checking with a doctor first about if it's an allergy or sensitivity. If it is an "allergy" find out from the products (you can look them up online) most companies will provide info for you about the ingredients they use in their stuff.
I would also suggest you find other names for benzoate. For example, my daughter is deathly allergic to milk. We not only stay away from "milk" but from things like whey, casine, casinate, and calcium (from milk). That way you'll be able to stay away from the problem all together.

MadScientist (Madscientist)
Username: Madscientist

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, thats interesting - I knew about things like lactose intolerance, but was unaware that there was a condition that caused deathly reactions to milk. I wouldn't know what to do with myself; I love milk too much! I suppose though, its hard to miss if you never have it.

Out of curiosity, what component of the milk causes this?

Michael (Michaelt)
Intermediate Member
Username: Michaelt

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be the "lactose" component. Hence the condition "lactose intolerance."

Lactose means "milk sugar", essentially.

Michael (Michaelt)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I misread your first post-- I expect that if casein is a problem for her child, it may be the phenylalanine, which in some people (phenylketonurics) can result in a buildup of this amino acid. There are other amino acids in casein, however, so phenylalanine may not be the real culprit.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phenylketonuria ias also not an alergic reaction.
Like lactose intolerance, it is the lack of an enzyme to digest
something in the diet.

Michael (Michaelt)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True. It wasn't my intent to imply that it was an allergic reaction; I can see how it could be construed as implying that, though.

Christina Piver (Allergymom)
Username: Allergymom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's the protein in the milk that's the problem. Her system is unable to break down the protein and treats it like a foreign body, as well as eggs, and citrus. Casine and Whey are hydrolozide protiens of milk that her system rejects.

MadScientist (Madscientist)
Username: Madscientist

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Without sounding like a total ass, which, ask anyone, I am good for:

Honest question: How do you feed her? It sounds like there are problems with more than one food group. What about meat?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration