Salt ingredients questions Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I want you to add a new chemical to your "Ingredients" book. » Salt ingredients questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marvin Lange
Posted on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

why isn't table salt required to show all ingredients? Salt certainly isn't all Sodium Chloride in nature, and there are many other salts that have similar chemistry. I would think that depending on where it is found there would be variations in what is found, and that different processes would be needed depending on the site for purification steps.

I take Lipitor and there appears to be concerns about eating/not eating bananas, drinking orange juice, etc. because of their potassium content.
I am not sounding alarms but I am saying "salt" is not precisely defined. It is easy to be mislead about the ingredients. Certainly this site has provided me with valuable input on the subject. Stomach acid must get the Chloride from salt -- what ever that means, from many different foods grown in many different places with salt added from many places. My point is that it is not just that every individual is different, so may be "salt" and "salt substitute. I wonder for instance about "sea Salt", Ocean fish vs fresh water fish, etc. Is NaF more or less soluble than NaCl. What chemical processes are used, if any to separate out other highly soluble salts.

Simon Quellen Field (sfield)
Username: sfield

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is very little in table salt besides
sodium chloride. Companies add anti-caking agents,
but the impurities in table salt are dwarfed by
the presence of those same elements in the food
you eat in far larger quantities.

There is more potassium in a donut than you can
get from a normal day's serving of table salt.
The same goes for most other elements.

No one eats that much table salt.

Jerry (Jerry24q)
Username: Jerry24q

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know a company which is pretty good at soil diagnostics (bodemverbetering). It is a dutch company, though they can probably give you some advice on this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration