Science Fair: Pepsin Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I want you to add a new chemical to your "Ingredients" book. » Science Fair: Pepsin « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar Baig (Omar_baig)
Username: Omar_baig

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am doing the effects of Pepsin (the enzyme) on the chemical breakdown of Hydrochloric acid and Gelatin (protien).

Does anyone know where I can buy Pepsin (a concentration less than 1:3000) for around 20 dollars. I dont need much, less than a 100g.

And does anyone know where I can buy HCl and which concentration I would use that is the easiest to find and has a pH closet to 2.0.

Is there a machine that can measure chemical breakdown or if there is a way I can measure it.

If you have any suggestions for improvements feel free to comment.

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks

Alexander N Roberts (Whoo_mythbusters)
Intermediate Member
Username: Whoo_mythbusters

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you can try to google some of your chemicals and the braek down i have no idea try and figutre something out yourself instead of having somebody else do it for you this way you can understand everything about the experiment

Omar Baig (Omar_baig)
Username: Omar_baig

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand the experiment, the only thing I really need to know is where I can buy the products and I tried google already.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 914
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Swanson has some. So does Become. Even Amazon.com has it.
Sargent Welch has lab grade powder.
Aoli Biopharmaceutical has it.

You can get it with the HCl already mixed, or you can get your HCl by itself
almost anywhere.

Since the purpose is to break down the long gelatin protein molecules into
tiny amino acids or small peptides, you can probably just use a simple viscosity
test to get an qualitative result.

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 915
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, when I typed "pepsin" into Google, I found all of those five
web sites by looking at the advertising links on the right hand side of
the page.

If you are looking to buy something, go where people are selling things.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration