RUBBER BAND POWERED CAR HELP Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I need help with my Science Fair project » RUBBER BAND POWERED CAR HELP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robin Willow (Sibilance)
Username: Sibilance

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For a physics project, I have to design a rubber band powered car to travel a 4.0 meter course (tile floor) in 5 seconds.

One standard rubber band (size #33) was provided by my teacher and only this type of rubber band may be used. The rubber band may be modified in any way. The power of the rubber band must be delivered to the wheels, and no propellers, sling shots, or other launch-type systems are permitted. The chassis/body or wheels of the car may not be purchased.

I have honestly no idea where to start with this project, and my teacher is hardly giving the class any direction.

My main problem is how to deliver the power of the ruber band to the wheels.

Any sort of help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alex Roberts (Whoo_mythbusters)
Username: Whoo_mythbusters

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take your rubber band and connect it to your wheels, whatever they might be, then connect two 2liter pop bottles together by cutting each in half then suspending your rubber band in the middle of the two bottles, with a wheel at either base of the two bottles. Glue the bottles together with hot glue or by some other mannor. So this set up will give you two wheels at either end of two pop bottles glued together with your rubber band stretched inside the bottles connecting your wheels. All you have to do is roll the "car" backwards twisting the rubber band. Then, let go and watch it fly.

I hope you understood that. It is difficult to explain without a graphic of some sort. If any body else understands please feel free to simplify.

(Message edited by whoo_mythbusters on October 14, 2006)

Timothy Agor (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.71.204.253
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to make a non-motorized car. It can be powered however necessary, but cannot be launched, pushed or pulled. I can use any household supplies that I need, so if anybody has any ideas, it would be a big help. Thanks

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"http://www.google.com/search?q=mousetrap+car"

catherine (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 61.68.68.152
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can u please help me how to make a RUBBER BAND POWERED CAR.
umm.. i realli need some answers my projects due this FRIDAY!
the 23rd of november..
umm,, ye this is urgent,..

Macy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.47.173.102
Posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i need help on trying to fugre out just how to make my rubber band powered car go.
the teacher only told us that we cant use the car as a slingshot, but other than that, we can do anything we please.
im just not sure how to get started.
do you have any ideaS?

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Attach the rubber band between the axle and the body of the car.
Now when you roll the car backwards, the rubber band winds around
the axle. Let the car go, and the rubber unwinds, powering the car.

Ray Wu (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 74.139.221.245
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i need help on a propeller car powered by rubber band,I got everything figured out. but I need help on how to connect the wheels to the axle and the axle to the car. please help me the project is due next tuesday. 12/18/07 URGENT!!!

Fu Manchu (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.154.120.125
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What physics concepts would these rubber band cars use, and how/why? That's all the information that I need.

Francesca (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.245.38.107
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to create a rubber band car powered by one rubber band(size #64 ). The rubber band can not be cut.It must travel about one meter( 3 feet ) and hold a one pound object(500 grams).

PLEASE HELP ME! THIS PROJECT IS WORTH HALF OF MY GRADE!

Any advise would be nice.

p.s. need advise pretty quickly. Due next Tues.

Theresa Simmons (Theresa)
Username: Theresa

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Simon would say, Google is your friend:
"http://www.google.com/search?q=rubber+band+powered+car"

Francesca (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.245.33.141
Posted on Saturday, February 2, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just found out my rubber band car can not use a propeller or a sling shot method. And its going to be raced on a carpeted surface.And that the propulsion of the vehicle must be through the wheels.Yeah, HELP!
I have tried so many web sites, but they are all normal. They aren't thinking that your car is going to be raced on a carpeted surface.

I RELLY NEED HELP!!!!!

PLEASE!!

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"http://www-tc.pbskids.org/designsquad/parentseducators/pdf/ds_pe_event_guide_rubber_band_car.pdf"

Google for "rubber band car CD wheels" to see many more.

skye jarvis (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 98.27.149.72
Posted on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

umm i got the rubber band and car and axels done but i cant figure out what to make my tires out of???
HEPLP PLEASE !!!!

Patrick (Firewire)
Advanced Member
Username: Firewire

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw a gizmo book before that uses CD wheels and a toilet paper tube as the axel, it is powered by a rubber band. Obvious details can be seen in the picture below:

These are the materials you need, A long and short dowel or BBQ stick, two CD's, a cardboard tube, rubber band, old diskette, tape, and petroleum jelly (not shown)

First, remove the metal center from the diskette, we will be using this as the washer for later. You can discard the remains of the diskette...

Hook the rubber band on the small stick like this,

then insert the rubber band on the CD

then tape it so it won't spin or get loose.

insert the rubber band inside the card board tube,

and into the other CD

For the the last step, insert the rubber band at the "washer" then use the long stick to hold it in place. Don't glue or tape the washer on the CD.

Though you could tape or glue the rest of the parts together the rubber band itself can hold the whole thing together... Don't limit yourself using one rubber band, I only used one so I could assemble it in under one minute... You could use as many rubber bands as you like as long as it can fit the washer's center hole. You could also use petroleum jelly to lubricate the washer...

You operate it by spinning the stick (turns may vary on the number of rubber bands)and when you think it's enough set it on the floor and release it...

jamie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.45.119.5
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

help me!!!
i in yr 8 nd we have 2 make a rubber band powered car it can not exceed 30 cm long and we can use only 2 rubber bands nd it has to work itself help me

Haley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 74.220.55.172
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I NEED HELP ON HOW 2 GET STARTED ON MY RUBBER BAND CAR!
THE RUBBER BAND CAR MUST GO AT LEAST 10METERS!
I AM REALLY STUCK N I DONT KNO WHAT 2 DO!
IT CAN BE MADE OUT OF WHATEVER WE WANT!
I REALLY NEED HELP IT IS DUE IN A COUPLE DAYS!

Advanced Member

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does not seem to me that you have read any of the preceding posts
on this thread. Scroll up and read what we have told others. You can
also use Google:
"http://www.google.com/search?q=%22rubber+band+powered+car%22"

There is a lot of information on this topic both on this page and elsewhere.

lavendha O'Rourke (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.169.44.196
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i need HELP to make a rubber band car and its due tuesday 2 december and im in yr4

Kelly (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.134.221.254
Posted on Monday, January 5, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a project due next friday and I have to make a rubberband powered car!
My teacher wont tell us anything about how to make it.

These are the rules:
I need to use at least 3 wheels.
I can no more than 2 rubberbands.
I also have to make the wheels too!!

Please I really need help on my project!!!
An advise would be very great. But quickly!!!!!!!!

Advanced Member

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, January 5, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't understand.

You found the page where many people have described how to
build a rubber band powered vehicle, and you then post a question
asking how to build a rubber band powered vehicle.

What is missing from all the information that can be found
directly above your question?

Wazzam (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.254.175.176
Posted on Thursday, January 8, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need 2 make a rubber band powered car that does a U turn around a 18x10in. box

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 8, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also only have these for materials:2 binder clips,2 clothespins,4 large paper clips,10 rubber bands,2 small,medium,& large sticks w/ slits on ea. end, string,copper wire,card board,4 wooden hubs,scissors,tape,& a sheet of paper w/ circular cut-outs that have these 4 measurements:2.5,3,3.5,4.5

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 8, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PLEASE HELP!!!MY PREVIOUS POSTS ARE ABOVE,URGENT!!!

Jordan Nelson (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 165.138.46.20
Posted on Friday, March 6, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok guys... from what i've seen above, you know quite abit... but I have a school project of a rubberband car... but there is a catch.
I can only use paper, glue, and rubberbands... The car has to be under 500g as well. =/ havent found anything else out on the internet... so lets see if you guys can help too. dead line is like next week, 3-13-09
any kind of glue is ok, but no no pop bottles, no cd's, and no card board.
if you can help, thanks again.

Passerby (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 166.121.37.12
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey uuh just wanted to say thanks for [quote]"Patrick (Firewire)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 8:30 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw a gizmo book before that uses CD wheels and a toilet paper tube as the axel, it is powered by a rubber band. Obvious details can be seen in the picture below:

These are the materials you need, A long and short dowel or BBQ stick, two CD's, a cardboard tube, rubber band, old diskette, tape, and petroleum jelly (not shown)

First, remove the metal center from the diskette, we will be using this as the washer for later. You can discard the remains of the diskette...

Hook the rubber band on the small stick like this,

then insert the rubber band on the CD

then tape it so it won't spin or get loose.

insert the rubber band inside the card board tube,

and into the other CD

For the the last step, insert the rubber band at the "washer" then use the long stick to hold it in place. Don't glue or tape the washer on the CD.

Though you could tape or glue the rest of the parts together the rubber band itself can hold the whole thing together... Don't limit yourself using one rubber band, I only used one so I could assemble it in under one minute... You could use as many rubber bands as you like as long as it can fit the washer's center hole. You could also use petroleum jelly to lubricate the washer...

You operate it by spinning the stick (turns may vary on the number of rubber bands)and when you think it's enough set it on the floor and release it... "[/quote]
refer to firewires details if u just nid to make a simple one...

Passerby (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 166.121.37.12
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just one question, what is the washer for?

toni (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.187.76.158
Posted on Sunday, August 9, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey guys
im in grade 10 and i have a physic's assignment, i need to make a self propelled car, i have lots of idea's, and have done a LOT of research. i'm gonna try to make a rubber band car except i can't figure out how i'm meant to join the rubber bands to the axle and the body of the car. Please help, i was reading another page and someone suggusted to use hooks to attach the band to the axle, so that when the car was coasting it wouldn't re-wind its self and slow down the car. but that only made me more confused.
any help will be greatly appericated, thanks in advance! =0)

Patrick (Firewire)

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@ Passerby: The washer is there to reduce the friction of the BBQ stick with the CD wheel.

@ Toni: one way to do that is to use a ratchet mechanism to the wheels, so the axle only spins the wheel in one direction and would allow the wheel to spin freely after the rubber band has un-winded. But that would make things complicated.

Since you havn't specified that you are limited to a certain design, I would like to suggest that you make a propeller based design. The trick is to lube the wheels and make the car as light-weight as possible so that the propeller won't have a hard time pushing it. If you want a quick instructable from me , just say so.

Toni (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.186.239.63
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks that would be great but i do ask that you dumb it down a bit lol because i dont no what a ratchet mechanism is or lubing,
if this would help i can choose which objective i can build my car for it's out of maximum velocity, maximum distance, or accuracy to target.
um i already have two types of wheels and some wood for the body of my car which is getting cut this weekend so try to reply before then and i was wondering if wind resistance would be a big thing or not, so whether i should cut my car down to a small size the wood is 19 by 7 cm at the moment and the wheels have a radius of 2 and 2.5
thank you so much

MaryinOhio (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 216.255.18.197
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is wonderful, thank you! I did exactly as pictured, except I added a bead at the end where the winding stick is. This keeps the stick from rubbing against the CD. I also used two rubber bands for strength.

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration