HV CAP FOR MY TESLA COIL Science Toys | Science Blog | Log Out | Topics | Search
My Toys | Energy | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Scitoys Message Board » I need help with my Science Fair project » HV CAP FOR MY TESLA COIL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M F (Wsucoug)
Username: Wsucoug

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi im looking for a way to build a hv cap for the tesla coil im building ive calculated that i need about .0053micra for the cap while i know i wont find one exact any advice on the best way to build this type of thing would be great oh btw the transformer im using to power this thing has an output of 15kv any help or ideas would be appriciated

Thanks

Joshua Martin (Mr_)
Advanced Member
Username: Mr_

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

go to electronic goldmine and they have a 35KV rated cap that's .003 uf
golmine-elec.com it's under film/mylar look at the bottom of the web page and go to page 4

M F (Wsucoug)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so should i wire them in series then and will the fact that it will be .006 cause my coil to not work and will those work for my transformer which puts out 15000 AC I dont know if that make a difference or not for caps but thanks for the help

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In series they would make 0.0015 uf.
In parallel they would be 0.006 uf.

M F (Wsucoug)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so having more capacitance at .006 should stil work even though all i need is .0053 anyways thanks for you help priciate it

Simon Quellen Field (Sfield)
Username: Sfield

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Electronic Goldmine capacitor is probably a 302K, meaning that
it is 0.003 uf plus or minus 10%. So it may be anything from 0.0027
to 0.0033 uf. Two of them in parallel will be anything from 0.0054
to 0.0066 uf.

M F (Wsucoug)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so that should be about perfect then i guess, if it is on the high side would more capacitance the need cause any sort of problems that you know of
THanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
For those who have trouble spelling, the Google Toolbar (included in the Google Pack) can check and correct the spelling in your posts on this message board and others.

Renewable Energy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration